MYO is hosting an Emerging Composers Competition, open to all unpublished composers under the age of 22 as of July 1, 2018. This national competition has a Choral Division and an Orchestral Division and MYO Members and Alumni are actively encouraged to apply.
Deadline: Wednesday, December 20, 2017 (All materials must be received by this date)
Please read this entire page before filling out the online application form.
Applicants must be under the age of 22 as of July 1, 2018. This is a national competition, open to all unpublished composers. There will be two Divisions:
1. Choral Division
2. Orchestral Division
Winners may be selected from each Division.
Works submitted should be for one of the following ensembles:
A. SATB Youth Choir (high school students)
B. Symphony Orchestra (high school students)
1. Scores must be submitted in PDF form.
2. Your composition must be an original and unpublished work (no arrangements of existing works will be accepted).
3. A short written description of the composition outlining inspirations and important features.
4. A full score and a complete set of parts must be included in PDF form.
5. A private YouTube or audio file (digital or live) rendition must be included with application.
6. Only one composition will be accepted by the same composer.
7. The submitted work may have been previously performed, but can not have won any previous competitions.
8. The composition may not exceed 10 minutes in length.
9. The work may be one or more movements.
10. Submitted works may not be submitted again in subsequent years.
11. A completed online application and a non-refundable $25 application fee must accompany each composition.
There is a $25 non-refundable application fee due at the time of the application and submission of score.
Finalists in each Division will receive a cash award and may have the composition performed by one of the MYO ensembles in the 2018–2019 season.
First Place: $500
Second Place: $200
Third Place: $100
The winning compositions will be announced by Wednesday, January 17, 2018.
The judges reserve the right not to award a prize in either Division.
Please include the following items with the online application:
1. Full score and complete set of parts (PDF form)
2. A private YouTube or audio file (digital or live) rendition of the composition
3. Age Verification – Please provide proof of age. A copy of your birth certificate, passport, or driver’s license is acceptable.
4. $25 Application Fee (payable online through PayPal)
5. A short written description of the composition outlining inspirations and important features (250 words maximum).