MYO Summer Performance Tour to Europe 2018
MYO is touring Europe July 3 – 16, 2018 and will visit Berlin, Dresden, Prague, Vienna, and Budapest!
The MYO Tour Choir and Tour Orchestra will rehearse and perform on Long Island first, and then perform five concerts while on tour in Europe! The Tour Choir will be conducted by Shoshana Hershkowitz with MYO Board President Sandra Baskin at the piano, and the Tour Orchestra will be conducted by Scott Stickley.
Performance Tour Waitlist
The MYO 2018 Performance Tour, including the Shadow Tour, is full and we are no longer accepting registrations. If you would still like to be considered for the MYO 2018 Tour, please sign up for the waitlist. In the event a position becomes available in the Tour Choir, Tour Orchestra, or on the Shadow Tour, you will be moved from the waitlist to active participation status. There is no financial commitment for the tour unless you are moved to active status. Please read through the Tour information below including Tour Eligibility, Requirements, Timeline, Features, Costs, Benefits, and Shadow Tour (Non-Performer) details before completing the online application for the waitlist from GrandTours, our tour company. GrandTours recommends filling out the application from a desktop computer and not a mobile device. The password to register for the waitlist: MYO (case sensitive).
Europe Tour Visual Presentation from GrandTours
Click here to download a visual presentation featuring some of the highlights of the tour, created by Jeff Goldsmith of GrandTours and presented at the first MYO Europe Tour Information Meeting on October 15, 2017.
NEW Grace McDermott Tour Scholarship
The Metropolitan Youth Orchestra of New York is honoring the memory of one of our own MYO Alums, Grace McDermott, with the Grace McDermott Tour Scholarship. Please click here to learn more about Grace and to see a complete list of donors without whom this scholarship would not be possible.
Grace McDermott Tour Scholarship Application Information
- The scholarship is open to 2017-2018 MYO members in good standing who are registered for the 2018 Summer Performance Tour.
- The scholarship is based on financial need and will take into account MYO ensemble level, attendance, dedication, and the applicant’s personal statement.
- Scholarship applicants are required to write a paragraph (150 word maximum) about what they hope to gain from participating in the 2018 Summer Performance Tour.
- Scholarship Awards: two half scholarships worth $2,250 each will be awarded to one tour choir participant and one tour orchestra participant.
- Scholarship application requires page 1 of the MYO family’s tax return. If parents/guardians file separately, please include a copy of each return.
- Applications will be reviewed by MYO Tour Staff and Music Directors.
Tour Scholarship Timeline
Application Available: October 20, 2017
Updated Application Deadline: January 5, 2018
Updated Scholarship Announcement: February 1, 2018
The MYO 2018 Europe Tour is open to:
- Registered MYO members currently 8th grade – 12th grade in September 2017
- MYO Alumni (Former MYO members who graduated from high school and from their MYO ensemble)
- Non-MYO members after January 5, 2018, by audition only, to fill any available positions
The MYO 2018 Europe Tour requirements include:
- Mandatory tour choir and orchestra rehearsals and Long Island performance prior to departing for Europe (Dates: June 2, June 25 – 29, and July 2, 2018)
- Tour orchestra participants should have successfully completed a NYSSMA* level 5 or 6 (or equivalent) solo on a string, wind, or percussion instrument
- Seating auditions for tour orchestra scheduled on Saturday, June 2, 2018
*NYSSMA refers to the New York State School Music Association’s manual of graded solos. Comparable solos are listed with New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Connecticut music educators associations.
Friday, September 1, 2017: Tour Registration Opens
Sunday, October 15, 2017, 2:00 – 4:00 PM: Tour Information Meeting #1, Four Points by Sheraton, Four Points by Sheraton, 333 S Service Road, Plainview, NY 11803
Friday, January 5, 2018: Grace McDermott Tour Scholarship Application Deadline
Thursday, February 1, 2018: Grace McDermott Tour Scholarship Announcement
Sunday, March 25, 2018, 2:00 – 4:00 PM: Tour Information Meeting #2 for Registered Participants, Four Points by Sheraton, 333 S Service Road, Plainview, NY 11803
Friday, April 20, 2018: Online Tour T-Shirt Contest Deadline (open to registered tour participants only)
Europe 2018 Mandatory Tour Rehearsals and Concert
Location: Herricks High School Auditorium, Chorus, and Orchestra Rooms
Saturday, June 2, 2018, 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM Seating Auditions and Choir and Orchestra Rehearsals
Monday, June 25, 2018, 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM Choir and Orchestra Rehearsals
Tuesday, June 26, 2018, 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM Choir and Orchestra Rehearsals
Wednesday, June 27, 2018, 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM Choir and Orchestra Rehearsals
Thursday, June 28, 2018, 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM Choir and Orchestra Rehearsals
Friday, June 29, 2018, 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM Choir and Orchestra Rehearsals
Friday, June 29, 2018, 7:00 PM Free Concert Open to the Public
Monday, July 2, 2018, 12:00 – 3:00 PM Choir and Orchestra Rehearsals
Tuesday, July 3 – Monday, July 16, 2018 Performance Tour Dates
- Round trip airfare from New York (JFK) to Berlin / Budapest
- Transportation by deluxe motor coach in Europe
- Professional tour manager / guide on each motor coach
- Local guides in Berlin, Dresden, Prague, Vienna, and Budapest
- 12-nights in twin occupancy at 3 and 4-star hotels
- Breakfast buffets daily at the hotels
- Dinner daily at a mix of hotels and local restaurants
- Sightseeing as outlined in the tour itinerary
- Admissions as required by the itinerary
- 5-Concert performances with local promotion
- Gratuities to guides, drivers, and local escorts
- Travel Guard Group Protection Plan Insurance
- Online tour registration
- Individual billing for each traveler
- Payment by debit/credit card price option
- Shadow tour for family members of tour participants
- Land-only options for students extending their stay in Europe
- Complete set of travel documents
The estimated cost of the tour is $4,495 per person for MYO-Performers and $4,595 per person for Non-Performers (Shadow Tour). Please click on the link below for more information.
MYO has gone on great tours around the world over the last twenty years. We have been to Australia, Central and Eastern Europe, Great Britain, New Zealand, Spain, and three times to China. Here are five great reasons to consider participating in the Summer 2018 tour:
- Have an unforgettable, life-changing experience
- Share your music with people of other cultures
- Earn 100 hours of community service credit
- Experience the customs, culture, and cuisine of Europe
- Travel with fellow musicians and make friends and memories to last a lifetime
Shadow Tour for Non-Performers
Family members will participate in a separate “Shadow Tour” following MYO to the same cities and joining us for concerts and other events. The shadow tour will have their own motor coach, guide, and hotels. Family members may also create their own tours and meet up with the MYO tour at various times. GrandTours will offer a land-only price (no group air) option for those who wish to purchase their own airfare and extend their time in Europe after the MYO tour concludes.
GrandTours recommends registering from a desktop computer and not a mobile device.
The password to register: MYO (case sensitive).
Please call 516-365-6961 if you have any questions, thank you.
Previous MYO Summer Performance Tours
MYO Summer Performance Tour to Spain 2016
MYO toured Spain July 6 – 19, 2016 and visited Madrid, Segovia, Medina, Toledo, Granada, Salobreña, Malaga, Valencia, Buñol and Barcelona! This was our largest tour yet with 105 participants! Check out our Tour Blog page, written by MYO tour member Laura Vega, for a day-to-day account of this great tour!
The MYO Tour Choir and Tour Orchestra performed six concerts in Spain under the direction of Choir Director Sandra Baskin and Orchestra Director Scott Stickley!
Tour Concert Dates and Locations
July 9 – Medina de Rioseco: Evening concert at San Francisco Church and Museum
July 11 – Granada: Festival Internacional de Musica y Danza de Granada evening concert at the Manuel de Falla Concert Hall
July 12 – Salobreña: Fringe Granada Festival Extension evening concert in the Auditorio Villa de Salobreña José Martín Recuerda
July 13 – Antequera: Evening concert at La Colegiata
July 15 – Buñol: Evening concert in the Teatro Monte Carlo
July 17 – Barcelona: Final concert in Teatre La Massa
Click HERE to see Concertmaster Michelle Luo’s beautiful performance of Massenet’s Meditation from Thais from our concert in Buñol, directed by Scott Stickley and featuring Spanish harpist Carmen Escobar.
MYO China Tour, July 8 – 21, 2014
Special thanks to our musicians and shadow tour participants for an incredible tour, five spectacular performances, and a lifetime’s worth of memories packed into two short weeks!
Our tour orchestra and choir performed in the following locations:
July 11 – Beijing: China Conservatory exchange concert with Beijing No. 22 Middle School
July 13 – Chengdu: Joint concert with Sichuan Conservatory Orchestra
July 15 – Xi’an: Evening concert at the Phoenix Theatre
July 17 – Yangshuo: Afternoon concert by Yulong River in Yangshuo
July 19 – Shanghai: Final concert in the Lyceum Theatre
Scott Stickley, Tour Orchestra Director
Sandra Baskin, Tour Choir Director
Check out our Blog Archive Page, written by Head Chaperone and MYO Founder John McNeur, for stories, anecdotes, and photos from our China Tour!
MYO Members have toured Australia, Austria, China, the Czech Republic, England, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Italy, New Zealand, Poland, Scotland, Spain, and Wales.