MYO Summer Performance Tours
MYO Summer Performance Tour to Italy 2020
MYO is touring Italy July 7 – 20, 2020 with GrandTours, our group tour provider!
We will be recruiting talented musicians for the MYO Tour Choir, led by Music Director Shoshana Hershkowitz and Pianist Kenneth Zagare, and Tour Orchestra, led by Music Director Scott Stickley, to rehearse and perform on Long Island, and then perform five concerts while on tour in Italy, including a performance as part of the Florence International Festival of Youth Orchestras!
Online auditions for the Tour Choir and Tour Orchestra are now open!
MYO 2020 Italy Tour is open to:
- Registered MYO members entering 9th grade* – 12th grade in September 2019
- MYO Alumni
- Non-MYO members after January 6, 2020 to fill any available positions
*We have raised the school grade requirement from previous MYO Tours because of the long tour days and late night concerts.
MYO 2020 Italy Tour requirements include:
- NEW: an online audition is required to be considered for placement in a MYO Tour Ensemble, in an effort to create a balanced choir and orchestra able to meet the artistic standards of Festival performance
- Mandatory Tour choir and orchestra rehearsals and Long Island performance prior to departing for Italy (estimated dates: June 29 – July 3, 2020)
- Tour orchestra participants should have successfully completed a NYSSMA* level 5 or 6 (or equivalent) solo on a string, wind or percussion instrument
- Seating auditions for tour orchestra scheduled in early June 2020
*NYSSMA refers to the New York State School Music Association’s manual of graded solos for adjudication.
Tour Audition Requirements
- Please submit this application and an audition recording to MYO by Thursday, September 19, 2019 to be considered for the 2020 Italy Tour Choir or Orchestra.
- The audition recording should consist of one prepared instrumental or vocal solo of your choice, without accompaniment.
- There is no application fee and you do not require a piano accompanist for the audition recording.
- Tour Ensemble Placement Notifications will be emailed Tuesday, October 1.
*Subject to change
- Thursday, August 1, 2019 – Online Audition Registration Opens for Tour Choir and Tour Orchestra
- Thursday, September 19, 2019 – Deadline to Submit Online Audition
- Tuesday, October 1, 2019 – Tour Ensemble Placement Notifications Emailed
- Tuesday, October 1, 2019 – Family and Friends of MYO Tour Registration Opens
- Sunday, November 3, 2019, 2:00-4:00 PM – Information Meeting #1 for Confirmed Tour Participants, Four Points by Sheraton, 333 South Service Road, Plainview, NY 11803
Please see the MYO 2020 Italy Tour Proposal for Tour Registration and Payment Schedule and Tour Cancellation Policy details (subject to change by GrandTours)
- Round trip airfare from New York (JFK) to Milan / Rome
- Transportation by deluxe motor coach in Italy
- Professional tour manager / guide on each motor coach
- Local guided tours in Florence, Siena, Pompeii, Rome
- 12-nights hotel in twin occupancy at 3 and 4-star hotels
- Breakfast buffet daily at the hotels
- 10-group dinners at a mix of hotels and local restaurants
- Sightseeing as outlined in the tour itinerary
- Admissions as required per the itinerary
- Admission to the Florence Youth Orchestra Festival
- 5-Concert performances with local promotion
- Gratuities to guides, drivers, and local escorts
- Travel Guard Group Protection Plan Insurance
- Online tour registration
- Individual billing for each traveler
- Payment by debit/credit card pricing option with 4% fee
- Possible separate family and friends tour offered
- Land-only options for those extending their stay in Europe
- Complete set of travel documents
The estimated cost of the performance tour is $4,795 per person. Please click on the preliminary Italy Tour Proposal below for more details. This proposal is subject to change.
Preliminary Tour Proposal
Download the MYO 2020 Italy Tour Proposal*
*This proposal is subject to change
MYO enjoys a rich tradition of international summer performance tours, beginning with the 1997 tour to Germany, France, and Austria through the most recent tour to Berlin, Dresden, Prague, Vienna, and Budapest in July 2018.
Here are five reasons to consider participating in the Summer 2020 tour:
- Have an unforgettable, life-changing experience
- Share your music with people of another culture
- Earn 100 hours of community service credit
- Experience the customs, culture, and cuisine of Italy
- Travel with fellow musicians and make friends and memories to last a lifetime
Family and Friends of MYO Tour
We will offer a separate Family and Friends of MYO Tour. In this model, family members will participate in a separate tour following MYO to the same cities and joining us for concerts and other selected events. The Family and Friends of MYO Tour will have their own flights, coach bus, guide, and hotels. Family members may also create their own tours and meet up with the MYO tour at various times. GrandTours will offer a land-only price (no group air) option for those that may wish to purchase their own airfare and extend their time in Italy after the MYO tour concludes.
The Family and Friends of MYO Tour will have separate registration and pricing.
MYO Summer Performance Tour to Europe 2018
MYO toured Europe July 3 – 16, 2018 and visited Berlin, Dresden, Prague, Vienna, and Budapest! This was our largest tour yet with a full symphony orchestra and SATB choir! Check out our Tour Blog page, written by MYO tour choir members Amanda Sheehan and Kathryn Sayler, for an exciting and educational account of this tour!
The MYO Tour Choir and Tour Orchestra rehearsed and performed on Long Island first, and then performed five concerts while on tour in Europe! The Tour Choir was conducted by Shoshana Hershkowitz with MYO Board President Sandra Baskin at the piano, and the Tour Orchestra was conducted by Scott Stickley.
Tour Concert Dates and Locations
July 5 – Berlin: Evening concert at Gruenewald Church
July 8 – Prague: Evening concert at Czech Museum of Music
July 11 – Vienna: MYO debut performance at historic St. Stephen’s Cathedral
July 14 – Budapest: Matinee concert at the MOM Cultural Center
MYO Summer Performance Tour to Spain 2016
MYO toured Spain July 6 – 19, 2016 and visited Madrid, Segovia, Medina, Toledo, Granada, Salobreña, Malaga, Valencia, Buñol and Barcelona! This was our largest tour yet with 105 participants! Check out our Tour Blog page, written by MYO tour member Laura Vega, for a day-to-day account of this great tour!
The MYO Tour Choir and Tour Orchestra performed six concerts in Spain under the direction of Choir Director Sandra Baskin and Orchestra Director Scott Stickley!
Tour Concert Dates and Locations
July 9 – Medina de Rioseco: Evening concert at San Francisco Church and Museum
July 11 – Granada: Festival Internacional de Musica y Danza de Granada evening concert at the Manuel de Falla Concert Hall
July 12 – Salobreña: Fringe Granada Festival Extension evening concert in the Auditorio Villa de Salobreña José Martín Recuerda
July 13 – Antequera: Evening concert at La Colegiata
July 15 – Buñol: Evening concert in the Teatro Monte Carlo
July 17 – Barcelona: Final concert in Teatre La Massa
Click HERE to see Concertmaster Michelle Luo’s beautiful performance of Massenet’s Meditation from Thais from our concert in Buñol, directed by Scott Stickley and featuring Spanish harpist Carmen Escobar.
MYO China Tour, July 8 – 21, 2014
Special thanks to our musicians and shadow tour participants for an incredible tour, five spectacular performances, and a lifetime’s worth of memories packed into two short weeks!
Our tour orchestra and choir performed in the following locations:
July 11 – Beijing: China Conservatory exchange concert with Beijing No. 22 Middle School
July 13 – Chengdu: Joint concert with Sichuan Conservatory Orchestra
July 15 – Xi’an: Evening concert at the Phoenix Theatre
July 17 – Yangshuo: Afternoon concert by Yulong River in Yangshuo
July 19 – Shanghai: Final concert in the Lyceum Theatre
Scott Stickley, Tour Orchestra Director
Sandra Baskin, Tour Choir Director
Check out our Blog Archive Page, written by Head Chaperone and MYO Founder John McNeur, for stories, anecdotes, and photos from our China Tour!
MYO Members have toured Australia, Austria, China, the Czech Republic, England, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Italy, New Zealand, Poland, Scotland, Spain, and Wales.