MYO Summer Performance Tours
MYO Summer Performance Tour to Italy Postponed to 2022
MYO will tour Italy July 6 – 19, 2022 with our group tour provider GrandTours. We are holding a place for all registered 2020 MYO Tour Choir and Orchestra Members, as well as Family and Friends Tour Participants, through September 1, 2021. We will reopen the online Performance Tour Audition Application to fill openings in the Tour Choir and Orchestra after September 1, 2021.
MYO tours every other year with GrandTours. The next MYO Tour after 2022 will take place in July 2024 and the destination will be determined following the 2022 Italy Tour.
We will be recruiting talented musicians for the MYO Tour Choir led by Music Director Shoshana Hershkowitz and Pianist Kenneth Zagare and Tour Orchestra led by Music Director Scott Stickley to rehearse and perform on Long Island, June 27 – July 1, 2022, and perform five concerts while on tour in Italy, including a performance as part of the Florence International Festival of Youth Orchestras!
Performance Tour Eligibility
MYO 2022 Italy Tour is open to:
- Registered MYO members entering 9th grade* – 12th grade in September 2021
- MYO Alumni
- Non-MYO members after January 6, 2022, to fill any available positions
*We have raised the school grade requirement from previous MYO Tours because of the long tour days and late-night concerts.
Performance Tour Requirements
MYO 2022 Italy Tour requirements include:
- NEW: an audition video is required to be considered for placement in a MYO Tour Ensemble
- Mandatory tour choir and orchestra rehearsals and Long Island performance prior to departing for Italy (June 27 – July 1, 2022)
- Tour orchestra participants should have successfully completed a NYSSMA* level 5 or 6 (or equivalent) solo on a string, wind, or percussion instrument
- Seating auditions for tour orchestra scheduled in early June 2022
*NYSSMA refers to the New York State School Music Association’s manual of graded solos for adjudication.
Performance Tour Features
- Round trip airfare from New York (JFK) to Milan / Rome
- Transportation by deluxe motor coach in Italy
- Professional tour manager / guide on each motor coach
- Local guided tours in Florence, Siena, Pompeii, Rome
- 12-nights hotel in twin occupancy at listed hotels
- Breakfast buffet daily at the hotels
- 10-group dinners at a mix of hotels and local restaurants
- Sightseeing as outlined in the tour itinerary
- Admissions as required per the itinerary
- Admission to the Florence Youth Orchestra Festival
- 5-Concert performances with local promotion
- Gratuities to guides, drivers, and local escorts
- Travel Insured International Student Protection Plan
- Online tour registration
- Individual billing for each traveler
- Payment by debit/credit card pricing option with 3% fee
- Separate Family and Friends Tour offered
- Complete set of travel documents
Performance Tour Cost
The estimated cost of the performance tour is $4,995 per person. Please click on the tour proposal from GrandTours below for more information.
Performance Tour Benefits
MYO enjoys a rich tradition of international summer performance tours, beginning with the 1997 tour to Germany, France, and Austria through the most recent tour to Berlin, Dresden, Prague, Vienna, and Budapest in July 2018.
Here are five reasons to consider participating in the Summer 2022 tour:
- Have an unforgettable, life-changing experience
- Share your music with people of another culture
- Earn 100 hours of community service credit
- Experience the customs, culture, and cuisine of Italy
- Travel with fellow musicians and make friends and memories to last a lifetime
Family and Friends Tour
We will offer a separate Family and Friends Tour. In this model, immediate family members of the Performance Tour members will participate in a separate tour following MYO to the same cities and joining us for concerts and other selected events. The Family and Friends Tour will have their own flights, coach bus, guide, and hotels. Family members may also create their own tours and meet up with the MYO tour at various times. GrandTours will offer a land-only price (no group air) option for those that may wish to purchase their own airfare and extend their time in Italy after the MYO tour concludes.
The Family and Friends Tour will have a separate registration site and pricing.
MYO Summer Performance Tour to Europe 2018
MYO toured Europe July 3 – 16, 2018 and visited Berlin, Dresden, Prague, Vienna, and Budapest! This was our largest tour yet with a full symphony orchestra and SATB choir! Check out our Tour Blog page, written by MYO tour choir members Amanda Sheehan and Kathryn Sayler, for an exciting and educational account of this tour!
The MYO Tour Choir and Tour Orchestra rehearsed and performed on Long Island first, and then performed five concerts while on tour in Europe! The Tour Choir was conducted by Shoshana Hershkowitz with MYO Board President Sandra Baskin at the piano, and the Tour Orchestra was conducted by Scott Stickley.
Tour Concert Dates and Locations
July 5 – Berlin: Evening concert at Gruenewald Church
July 8 – Prague: Evening concert at Czech Museum of Music
July 11 – Vienna: MYO debut performance at historic St. Stephen’s Cathedral
July 14 – Budapest: Matinee concert at the MOM Cultural Center
MYO Summer Performance Tour to Spain 2016
MYO toured Spain July 6 – 19, 2016 and visited Madrid, Segovia, Medina, Toledo, Granada, Salobreña, Malaga, Valencia, Buñol and Barcelona! This was our largest tour yet with 105 participants! Check out our Tour Blog page, written by MYO tour member Laura Vega, for a day-to-day account of this great tour!
The MYO Tour Choir and Tour Orchestra performed six concerts in Spain under the direction of Choir Director Sandra Baskin and Orchestra Director Scott Stickley!
Tour Concert Dates and Locations
July 9 – Medina de Rioseco: Evening concert at San Francisco Church and Museum
July 11 – Granada: Festival Internacional de Musica y Danza de Granada evening concert at the Manuel de Falla Concert Hall
July 12 – Salobreña: Fringe Granada Festival Extension evening concert in the Auditorio Villa de Salobreña José Martín Recuerda
July 13 – Antequera: Evening concert at La Colegiata
July 15 – Buñol: Evening concert in the Teatro Monte Carlo
July 17 – Barcelona: Final concert in Teatre La Massa
Click HERE to see Concertmaster Michelle Luo’s beautiful performance of Massenet’s Meditation from Thais from our concert in Buñol, directed by Scott Stickley and featuring Spanish harpist Carmen Escobar.
MYO China Tour, July 8 – 21, 2014
Special thanks to our musicians and shadow tour participants for an incredible tour, five spectacular performances, and a lifetime’s worth of memories packed into two short weeks!
Our tour orchestra and choir performed in the following locations:
July 11 – Beijing: China Conservatory exchange concert with Beijing No. 22 Middle School
July 13 – Chengdu: Joint concert with Sichuan Conservatory Orchestra
July 15 – Xi’an: Evening concert at the Phoenix Theatre
July 17 – Yangshuo: Afternoon concert by Yulong River in Yangshuo
July 19 – Shanghai: Final concert in the Lyceum Theatre
Scott Stickley, Tour Orchestra Director
Sandra Baskin, Tour Choir Director
Check out our Blog Archive Page, written by Head Chaperone and MYO Founder John McNeur, for stories, anecdotes, and photos from our China Tour!
MYO Members have toured Australia, Austria, China, the Czech Republic, England, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Italy, New Zealand, Poland, Scotland, Spain, and Wales.